Fundraising can give you a real sense of personal achievement, increased confidence, and help develop your entrepreneurial skills. So just how do you take that first step towards your goal?
How to start
- Set an overall target, and then break this down into realistic, smaller targets by:
– Individual fundraising during the school holidays (90% of your overall target), and
– Team fundraising during term-time (10% of your overall target)
- 90% of your overall target will usually be reached by individual fundraising during school holidays, so plan these activities especially well.
From supermarket bag-packing to grant-giving trusts, here are our top 10 tips for effective fundraising.
Individual fundraising in school holidays
- Book a total of 6 days bag-packing in supermarkets during Christmas 2013 (3 days) and Easter 2014 (3 days) when you can earn up to £150 per day. Total 6 days x £150 = £900!
- Car boot sale or EBay – include household items that you and your parents/siblings don’t want (make sure you ask first…)
- Babysitting and paper rounds
- Sponsored endurance event – get your friends and family to sponsor you for a big swim, bike ride, hike, run or rowing maching at the gym etc. Get paid to get fit!
- Saving Christmas and birthday money – ask for the cash value of gifts for that year.
Team fundraising in term-time
- Persuade the school to have a non-uniform day, with proceeds going to the trip.
- Themed evening – e.g. local Nepali restaurant, team invites friends and relations. Donated auction and/or raffle prizes can raise up to £2000 on one night, and it is easy to organise!
- Quiz during break/lunch on your destination (with a prize for the winner).
- Group cake sales (break, parent evenings) and carwashes.
- Local business sponsorship and grant giving trusts (e.g. Frederick Soddy Trust).
- Select activities with the maximum financial return.
- Set up a Team Fundraising Committee, with a date, time, and location of follow-up meetings to start implementing the team plan during term-time.
Email or call Global Action any time to discuss how activities can be set up. After you have booked, we will also provide a Fundraising Workshop at your school.